Deciding on the name (moved from #229)

First things first: repos. Do we create a new repo for the new “gui tool” (and come up with a better name) or do we just start a v1 branch in the current repo?

I’d like to start a new repo just named “tools” that has a GUI as one of the tools. This leaves space for command-line tools to be developed as well and kept in this repository.

We might also want to refer to the GUI using something less generic then “gooey tool”. What about calling it the “UAVCAN control station” or “UAVCAN control suite”. Let’s make a “my name is best” list like we did for naming Subjects:

1. UAVCAN control station (UCS)
  2. UAVCAN control suite (UCS)
  3. UAVCAN Diagnostics and Control (UDC)
  4. Visual UAVCAN (VUC)
  5. UAVCAN connect (UConn)
  6. UAVCAN 360 (this is a joke, somehow I went all Microsoft for the last three of these)
  7. The Best Damned User Interface Ever Built Using Python to Serve Javascript (BDUIEBUPSJ)
  8. Cannery
  9. CAN Opener
  10. CAN NT
  11. (sorry, this is fun)
1 Like

I decide to make every user action require 10 mouse clicks and a scroll wheel

Computer mouse was invented for a reason, right?

I’d like to start a new repo just named “tools” that has a GUI as one of the tools. This leaves space for command-line tools to be developed as well and kept in this repository.

Eh, I would rather see a dedicated repo for the gooey tool, it seems important enough for that. How many command-line tools can there be anyway, and are we sure they should be versioned together with the gooey tool?

We might also want to refer to the GUI using something less generic then “gooey tool”.

I am ashamed of myself that I couldn’t come up with a better name. We must fix this.

1. You said “UAVCAN Diagnostics and Control (UDC)”; surely you meant UAVCAN Command and Conquer (UCNC)?
  2. Excavator.
  3. In the spirit of “bus master” there could be a Bus Vassal.
  4. Lord of the Bus (one tool to rule them all, one tool to find them, etc).
  5. Cool Bus.

How about voyeur? After all, this tool is often used to EXPLORE what is there on the bus

Though LOTB seems bizarre enough. I like it

Okay. Agreed. Once we have a name I’ll start a new repo and start opening issues like “pick a UI widget framework” and “pick a python web framework”.

synonyms: peeping Tom, pervert, watcher; informal perv

…uh, no :slight_smile:

@kjetilkjeka please join us here.

@scottdixon do you think LOTB is legally safe?

Another (lame) option is “U-can”.

I can’t comment on any copyrights other then to say satire seems generally well-protected in western law. That said, I’m not a big fan of LOTB since it requires people to get the joke to understand the name.

Here are the names that I think are reasonable albeit boring (didn’t someone suggest Canny-McCanface yet?)

(not in any order)

• Excavator
  • U-can
  • UAVCAN control station (UCS)
  • UAVCAN control suite (UCS)
  • UAVCAN Diagnostics and Control (UDC)
  • UAVCAN connect (UConn)
  • Cannery
  • Excavator
  • U-can
  • UAVCAN control suite (UCS)
  • UAVCAN Diagnostics and Control (UDC)
  • UAVCAN connect (Uconn)
  • Cannery
  • None of these names

0 voters

UAVCAN connect (UConn)

How about Yukon

1 Like

I also like “None of these names”, very clever, although a bit awkward to use.

Second Round Vote

• Yukon
  • Excavator
  • UAVCAN connect (Uconn)
  • Cannery

0 voters

Ugh. Excavator? I was really hoping for Yukon. Okay: why Excavator? What’s the story behind that name?

I just removed my vote for Excavator. The story behind it is that there was one parked on the campus a few days ago.

Both Yukon and Excavator are leading, but I think we can all agree that Yukon is just better, so let’s go with that.

1 Like

https://github.com/UAVCAN/Yukon is up. I’ll fork and start pull requests that include design documents.

Proposed Logo (It’s Christmas. I have time to draw and stuff. Stop laughing at me)

The new logo, also from Scott, posting here for ease of reach. The font here is the same as in the UAVCAN logo – Russo One.

SVG

Yukon

PNG

1 Like