Automatic configuration of port identifiers

A UAVCAN port (subject or service) is conceptually similar to a topic in DDS/ROS. Ports identify the meaning (semantics) of data within a particular system while its type identifies its structure (syntax). Semantics and syntax are orthogonal concepts and they are modeled as such in UAVCAN.

In some exceptional cases it makes sense to bind a particular type to a specific purpose. A related concept from OOP is a singleton. UAVCAN models this with the help of fixed ports. A data type designer may assign a fixed port-ID to a data type at the data type definition time if necessary. This feature is dangerous if misused because it opens a direct path to overly rigid unmaintainable systems. As such, it is used only for special use cases like standard low-level interfaces common for many applications regardless of the domain: heartbeat, logging, file transfer, etc. Another decent analogy is the set of well-known TCP/UDP ports.

A domain-specific data type such as an actuator control type or a camera frame normally should not have a fixed port-ID. It is assumed that the port-IDs are to be assigned by the system integrator once when the system is constructed or when a new participant is added. While simple, this approach creates usability issues when it is desirable to have a plug-and-play capability such that a new node could be added to an existing bus and auto-configure itself automatically.

Observe that UAVCAN already defines the plug-and-play procedure but it is related to the node-ID allocation and it has nothing to do with the port-ID assignment. Hence, we need to find a way how to assign non-fixed port-ID automatically for newly inserted nodes.

It is expected that high-DAL systems will be unlikely to rely on this capability because in such scenarios static configurations are generally preferred. Therefore, it is acceptable to resort to a solution that requires a certain degree of centralization, such that, for example, some actions are to be performed by a master component of some kind such as a flight controller.

One obvious approach to the problem of automatic port-ID assignment is to leverage the already existing register API which already defines the concept of standard register name patterns:

The idea is to add a new standard pattern of the form (wildcard) uavcan.pub.* / uavcan.sub.* where the asterisk is some human-friendly semantic name of a subject, like uavcan.pub.global_position, or uavcan.sub.esc_setpoint, or uavcan.pub.camera_left, etc. Then provide some human-defined configuration file to the aforementioned central component (e.g., flight controller) and have it monitor the network for new nodes. Once a new node is detected, it would read its registers and see if there are any whose name matches the wildcard. If matching registers are detected, they would be written by the central component according to the instructions provided in the configuration file and the node would be commanded to restart afterward to adopt the new configuration. Similar behavior is needed for service servers/clients as well, where the wildcard could be defined as uavcan.server.* / uavcan.client.*.

In this way, we get auto-configuration while not relying on the problematic fixed port identifiers unnecessarily.

@TSC21 @dagar @dmitry.ramensky this is what I was talking about at the dev call yesterday.

Edit – another example:

Port-ID Type Function
123 my_namespace.camera.Image.1.0 Left camera image
124 my_namespace.camera.Image.1.0 Right camera image
200 my_namespace.battery.Status.1.0 Main battery status
201 my_namespace.battery.Status.1.0 Payload battery status
300 my_namespace.geometry.geo.Pose.1.0 Estimated position and orientation of the vehicle
301 my_namespace.geometry.geo.Pose.1.0 Target position and orientation of the vehicle

Edit – please read The UAVCAN Guide to better understand the motivation.

@tsc21 could you please confirm if you are OK to take ownership of this issue? I think it should be relatively straightforward to document (seeing as you won’t need to edit the Specification, only the documentation for the uavcan.register.Access, the coordination overheads are minimal). We just need somebody (like you) to analyze the corner cases and describe the exact algorithm before sending a pull request against the data type definition. I guess the question is whether Auterion is OK to fund this work.

Here is the demo that I promised last Thursday for @PetervdPerk @dagar and @tsc21. The demo shows how to configure a subject-ID via uavcan.register.Access.1.

Building the demo

We are going to need libcanard and a SocketCAN facade for it. It is assumed that the host system is GNU/Linux. The build is trivial:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.16)
project(demo C)
set(CMAKE_C_STANDARD 11)
include_directories(libcanard socketcan)
add_executable(demo demo.c libcanard/canard.c socketcan/socketcan.c)

Or just:

gcc demo.c libcanard/canard.c socketcan/socketcan.c -I socketcan -I libcanard

demo.c is attached. Its logic should be self-explanatory.

Evaluating the demo

To evaluate the demo, we are going to need the PyUAVCAN CLI tool: pip install pyuavcan[cli]

Set up a virtual CAN bus:

sudo modprobe can && sudo modprobe can_raw && sudo modprobe vcan  # Load the kernel modules
sudo ip link add dev vcan0 type vcan    # Register a new virtual CAN interface named "vcan0"
sudo ip link set vcan0 mtu 72           # This is to enable CAN FD (optional)
sudo ip link set up vcan0

You can listen to the traffic on the bus using candump -decaxta any. Arch-based users will find it in AUR under the name can-utils; Debian-based distros ship it under the same name.

Prepare the PyUAVCAN CLI tool:

cd ~/test
pyuavcan dsdl-gen-pkg path/to/public_regulated_data_types/uavcan
export PYTHONPATH=~/test  # To make generated packages importable

Launch the compiled demo on vcan0 using node-ID 42: ./demo vcan0 42

Open a new terminal to listen for its heartbeats:

$ pyuavcan sub uavcan.node.Heartbeat.1.0 --tr='CAN(can.media.socketcan.SocketCANMedia("vcan0", 64), None)'
---
32085:
  uptime: 824
  health: 0
  mode: 0
  vendor_specific_status_code: 0

Open another terminal and read the current register value by calling uavcan.register.Access.1.0 on the node-ID 42:

$ pyuavcan call 42 uavcan.register.Access.1.0 '{name: {name: uavcan.pub.measurement}}' --tr='CAN(can.media.socketcan.SocketCANMedia("vcan0", 8), 125)'
---
384:
  timestamp:
    microsecond: 0
  mutable: true
  persistent: false
  value:
    natural16:
      value:

You may also briefly see another heartbeat emitted by the above command. If you read a non-existent register, you get an empty response back as prescribed by the register protocol spec:

$ pyuavcan call 42 uavcan.register.Access.1.0 '{name: {name: no.such.register}}' --tr='CAN(can.media.socketcan.SocketCANMedia("vcan0", 8), 125)'
---
384:
  timestamp:
  mutable: false
  value:
    empty: {}

Okay, now let’s suppose that we’re going to use a subject-ID of 5555 for our measurement messages. Open a new terminal and launch a subscriber on subject-ID 5555 of type String:

pyuavcan sub 5555.uavcan.primitive.String.1.0 --tr='CAN(can.media.socketcan.SocketCANMedia("vcan0", 64), None)'

You will see nothing because the node doesn’t know the subject-ID yet. So we configure it:

$ pyuavcan call 42 uavcan.register.Access.1.0 '{name: {name: uavcan.pub.measurement}, value: {natural16: {value: [5555]}}}' --tr='CAN(can.media.socketcan.SocketCANMedia("vcan0", 8), 125)'
---
384:
  timestamp:
  mutable: true
  value:
    natural16:
      value:

We received a response that contains the same value that we’ve just written which means that everything went well. Now we can see the published messages in the subscriber tool:

---
5555:
  value: So it goes.

---
5555:
  value: So it goes.

The invocation of uavcan.register.Access.1 can be done manually by the integrator who is configuring the node for use with a particular end system, although it is inconvenient and requires special tools, not to mention dealing with the awkward YAML syntax of the PyUAVCAN CLI tool. Despite the inconvenience, it works as a first step. We will be building a better user experience on top of this without affecting the end-nodes in any way: the improvements will be focused on the so-called “master node” (UAVCAN is masterless so this is to be understood as the application-level master, like the FMU on a UAV). PX4 can expose the register API via QGC as a first step (this will be needed anyway regardless of the logic discussed here). Later we can extend the functionality to implement true plug-and-play automatic subject-ID configuration as described in the OP post.

Please note that even though the subject-ID is configured at runtime, it would be a mistake to call it “dynamic”, because it is not changing while the system is running. Instead, it is to be configured once at the system definition time, and hence we call it static runtime-assigned.

@pavel.kirienko so from the above implementation, my understanding is that:

1. A priori, we need to know the node ID of the peripheral we are connecting, unless there is a discovery mechanism using the Hearbeats being received;
  2. We are dependent of understanding the PyUAVCAN source code so we can mimic the CLI interaction you are showing above in C/C++ code.

So although the above does seem to do what is expect, I do not think it is useful enough to actually implement what we are looking for. What I see above is just a way of showing that PyUAVCAN works well with the register interface, but this doesn’t help on the embedded side, and requires that any of the implementers of the integration have to dig in further to understand how to interact with the register API using C/C++.

Besides that, the above process is incomplete, because as I said, the integrator is not supposed to know the node ID a priori so to be able to configure the subject ID. The PX4 node will need to first map all the nodes, understand what nodes those peripherals correspond to, and then allow to manually mapping the different subjects. This doesn’t seem such a simple task as it is being tried to be sold.

To add also that manually doing the invocation of uavcan.register.Access.1 is totally out of question and we would need an automated way of handling this now. Doesn’t have to be directly available in QGC now but rather with the PX4 parameter system and a register interface routine. I don’t think it’s reasonable to waste time writing a CLI in PX4 to interface with the node registers, since it eventually be deprecated.

I am happy to consider the alternatives but the fixed port-ID assignment is not a viable one and is not going to work as you might expect it to. I don’t want to repeat the arguments once more so let me just say that we had good reasons to depart from that design in v1. I would like you to avoid repeating the same mistakes we did; they will be costly to correct later even though you may not immediately recognize them by virtue of having limited exposure to the design issues of v0.

Your perception of the architecture seems distorted, let me try and correct it here.

Correct. This mechanism is already implemented in the current v0 implementation in PX4 and it will certainly be implemented in the very near future (if not already?) in the new v1 implementation because it is mandatory to support PnP nodes. The automatic subject-ID assignment that is to be implemented incrementally later builds on top of this as described in the OP post.

No. I don’t recommend you look at the PyUAVCAN CLI tool because it is highly complex and virtually none of its extensive capabilities are required for this.

If you put aside the current discussion, you should realize that the support for the register interface is mandatory to support complex nodes that provide configurable parameters, such as motor controllers or optical flow sensors. UAVCAN v0 did not have the notion of subject-IDs and yet the PX4 UAVCAN-MAVLink bridge provided the parameter bridge interface to expose the nodes’ configuration parameters to QGC. You will need this regardless.

I am not sure if a PX4 CLI for dealing with registers on remote nodes is required, but if it is, it’s worth ~500 lines of code. If you’d like me to write that I am happy to help but you should realize that that would set us back considerably because I also have to spend my limited time on other matters which are much harder to delegate.

You are missing the point of the demo.

The demo is intended to demonstrate the logic that has to be implemented on the embedded side, as we discussed on the call. The demo illustrates that the core feature costs ~50 lines of code and one extra libcanard subscription state. Your talk about complexity on the embedded side is entirely out of place.

I am proposing a scalable approach where we set out the baseline requirements to implementers of hardware nodes (like NXP) first, and then incrementally introduce more sophisticated UX scenarios on top of that, following roughly the following roadmap:

• First step: The subject-IDs are configured manually by the integrator. To add a new node, you have to manually set up its configuration parameters by writing the registers using the CLI tool (later Yukon). It is inconvenient but it is already available if you just add the fifty lines of code as I demonstrated here.

• Second step: The subject-IDs are configured manually by the integrator via PX4 CLI (the 500 lines of code I mentioned earlier) or via QGC (UAVCAN-MAVLink bridge). The steps are like above except that instead of relying on PyUAVCAN-CLI or Yukon you use the PX4-CLI or QGC like you do now with v0 for other configuration parameters.

• Third step: The subject-IDs are configured fully automatically by the FMU as described in the first post. For complex nodes like motor controllers, the user will still have to get involved to configure other parameters though which may have no relation to UAVCAN whatsoever.

Do you find the staged plan sensible or would you like to cancel the incremental approach and start building the final solution now?

@TSC21 Moving the conversation here from Slack.

Using PyUAVCAN, you use uavcan.register.Access.1.0 '{name: {name: uavcan.pub.measurement}}' . My question is: what exactly is this uavcan.pub.measurement ? Is this a register name associated with the subject ID for a data type Measurement ? Is there a wildcard or naming standard for this?

Yes, uavcan.pub.* (likewise uavcan.sub.* uavcan.server.* uavcan.client.*) is the proposed wildcard. Seeing as it still a proposal, it is not yet documented. I assume there are no objections so we should update the documentation as I described in the OP post (please read it).

Considering a use case where an integrator wants to connect a Smart Battery through CAN to PX4: what would be the exact complete mechanism/process that needs to be implemented, including the required messages/services? I would imagine that the process would follow something like:

• The PX4 system boots and the bus is functional, with the PX4 node actively querying the bus for the different nodes being connected, or passively waiting for nodes to be connected and to send Hearbeats signalling their presence;
  • The integrator connects the Smart Battery;
  • As soon as the Smart Battery gets connected, the automatic plug-and-play node-ID allocation protocol gets triggered, the BMS node gets an ID, and it starts sending its own Hearbeats;
  • The PX4 node gets the BMS Heartbeats, and since it doesn’t know anything about this node, it sends a GetInfo, which the BMS node responds to;
  • Based on the received response, the PX4 node identifies that node as being a BMS system, and since it know the context/data meaning coming from that system (needs to have a mapping defined on code), it warns the integrator that a BMS system is connected and that requires its port IDs to be set;
  • The integrator uses the PX4 CLI to send a uavcan.register.Access.1.0 call to write to well defined named registers that correspond to each of the subject IDs being published in the bus;
  • The BMS node acquires that change and sets those port IDs to those subjects;
  • The process needs to be repeated to any other Smart Battery that gets connected to the system, having PX4 doing a verification to the IDs so to make sure it doesn’t warn the user for a node that already has its port IDs configured.

Is the above correct? If so, what would be the register naming on the device side? What does it need to send/do to acknowledge the access to its registers and the change of them? I suppose that the register interface it’s not something that exists in libcanard and so it needs to be implemented higher-level per target device.

In general, what you described is correct, but it can be simplified. PX4 doesn’t need to be aware of the kinds of the connected devices because it breaks the function encapsulation on the device side (what if there is an ESC with an integrated BMS? The example is made-up but it gets the point across; there will be more on this in the design guidelines I am working on). The integrator is perfectly aware of the kind of the device that just got inserted; if it’s a BMS, it’s probably written on the device itself, no need to be redundant here. PX4 can merely query the registers and see if there are any that match the wildcards whose values are not configured, but even that is optional – until at least some of the port-IDs are configured, the device just wouldn’t work. Remember also that not all port-IDs may need configuration; for example, if a BMS reports its own temperature, the integrator may not wish that data on the system, so the port-ID may be simply left unset. Do not pester the integrator with useless warnings about that.

For the first MVP, I recommend the following process:

• The integrator connects the devices and the system is booted (or the other way around).
  • PnP.
  • CLI: uavcan register 42 to list the available registers on the node 42 and their values. Or maybe the integrator just reads the user manual, but who does that anyway?
  • CLI: uavcan register 42 uavcan.pub.bms_status 1234 to set the register uavcan.pub.bms_status on the node 42 to 1234.

Automation can be built on top of these bare-bones incrementally.

As for the names, we should get to that after I finished writing the design guide and we fixed the DS-015 proposal accordingly. For now, use whatever, like uavcan.pub.bms_status, etc.

Okay, here is my attempt to push this effort forward a little bit. I am not yet ready to offer a solution, but it is time to create a checkpoint with my progress to date in the hopes that it will attract constructive criticism and fresh ideas. To understand the context, one needs to read the origin of this thread and also the conversation in Choosing Message and Service IDs.

Requirements

First, I need to restate the objectives here. The high-level business requirement is to accelerate the uptake of UAVCAN v1 in its early days by simplifying deployment and integration of v1-enabled systems. This is to be done by automating the integration and the initial configuration of some of the commonly occurring hardware setups. UX-wise this is intended to resemble, say, standard USB classes, where some of the popular types of devices are picked up by the host system automatically without the need to install device drivers or configuring anything. Extending this analogy, some of the more sophisticated use cases will require manual intervention like uncommon USB devices require the installation of custom drivers.

The set of such supported configurations will be intentionally kept small. There is an expectation that in the sense of their functionality and quantity, UAVCAN devices generally follow the Pareto principle, such that supporting a carefully chosen small subset of popular configurations will allow us to cover a large number of practical use cases, relegating the rest to manual configuration.

It is vital to understand that avoiding manual configuration entirely is an anti-goal. To solve the problem of configuration in general, one necessarily has to involve understanding of the system, its architecture, data flows, and the business logic in general (not to mention vital configuration parameters that have nothing to do with data distribution, like ESC indices). These are necessarily managed by the human architect, and therefore, there may be no possibility to solve the problem in general (unless one is willing to rely on advanced artificial intelligence).

Complexity aside, it is also relevant that UAVCAN is primarily designed for high-integrity applications, where it may be preferred to have full control over the configuration of the system, which also may not be compatible with the auto-configuration feature. This side of the argument is similar to the plug-and-play node-ID allocation procedure, which is commented on by the Specification as follows (section 5.13.2 “Plug-and-play nodes”):

Remember that the plug-and-play feature is entirely optional and it is expected that applications where a high degree of determinism and robustness is expected are unlikely to benefit from it.

Implementing automatic configuration in a truly distributed system (which UAVCAN is primarily designed for) is harder compared to a centralized system. Since the business requirement is to simplify the uptake of the technology in its early days and seeing that a large subset of today’s practical uses of UAVCAN implement centralized (to some extent) networks, the auto-configuration capability will be focusing on centralized networks in the first place.

Centralized vs. distributed

That is, auto-configuration is intended to be an optional minor helper feature rather than a core capability. It may somewhat overlap with the UAVCAN as a ROS middleware project because it also involves automatic port-ID configuration, although the context is rather different.

Approach

Considering the optionality of this feature, it has to be kept non-intrusive, such that supporting it would not put extra constraints on the implementation (the ROS design guide communicates a similar preference saying "we don’t wrap your main()").

Upon some pondering, I ended up with the following idea. Suppose that in network service specifications we define a recommended name for each subject/service. For instance, for the battery service, we would have this:

#   SUBJECT NAME    TYPE                                    TYP. RATE [Hz]
#   source          reg.drone.phy.electricity.SourceTs      1...100
#   status          reg.drone.srv.battery.Status            ~1
#   parameters      reg.drone.srv.battery.Parameters        ~0.2

So there are three subjects: source, status, and parameters.

Naturally, enforcing an exact port name is not possible because in that case, different service specifications may conflict with each other (e.g., a servo service also has a status subject). Hence, implementations are to be allowed to add arbitrary prefixes before the port name.

Imagine a made-up node that implements two smart battery services (primary and secondary) and a servo service (suppose we call it the main drive); then it might have the following registers (among others):

uavcan.pub.battery.primary.source.id
uavcan.pub.battery.primary.status.id
uavcan.pub.battery.primary.parameters.id

uavcan.pub.battery.secondary.source.id
uavcan.pub.battery.secondary.status.id
uavcan.pub.battery.secondary.parameters.id

uavcan.sub.main_drive.setpoint.id
uavcan.sub.main_drive.readiness.id
uavcan.pub.main_drive.feedback.id
uavcan.pub.main_drive.status.id
uavcan.pub.main_drive.power.id
uavcan.pub.main_drive.dynamics.id

By virtue of sharing common prefixes, the registers clearly define three services:

• battery.primary
  • battery.secondary
  • main_drive

So far this seems like a sensible design rather than an arbitrary convention — a standalone developer is likely to adopt this approach of grouping registers independently even if it is not explicitly documented anywhere because it just makes sense. It should be kept this simple. Attempting to enforce too much structure upon the implementation might defeat the flexibility of UAVCAN, we don’t want that.

With semantic port grouping in place, our job is basically done here. What is left is to announce to the external auto-configuration authority (like the flight management unit) that a given group of ports conforms to a published network service definition. It may seem trivial but one should observe that a given set of ports or a subset thereof may conform to more than one service definition. For instance, the servo and the ESC services are, in fact, extremely similar (the latter is nearly a subset of the former), so it is natural to expect that a COTS node that implements one will also implement the other for the sake of greater application flexibility. In UML this is expressed as follows:

The objective then is to communicate to the auto-configuration authority that a given port is part of a given (set of) network service specifications.

Service specifications are currently described in plain prose in DSDL comments, which is the accepted practice in many applications, from ROS (see any package documentation) to HTTP REST API (see any web API specs). Various automation solutions exist and are practiced whenever sensible; in the web API case, Swagger is an interesting example. For UAVCAN, the prospect of providing rigorous machine-readable network service definitions has been explored in the past, and it is, in fact, something that is likely to be worked on in the long term, but it is not manifested on our roadmap in any concrete terms yet. Such automation is a highly complex feature that we will not be able to commence any work on until we have is a solid empirical base, which means that it is at least years away from now.

But I digress. Having semantically grouped registers in place, we need to announce that a given semantic group conforms to a network service specification. Service specifications are defined in plain prose in DSDL comments. DSDL comments, naturally, reside in DSDL files, which reside in DSDL namespaces. Ergo, the proposal is to use the DSDL namespace name as the network service name. For example, if the smart battery network service is defined in the namespace reg.drone.srv.battery, then it would be the name of the service.

Putting the above together, we define a persistent immutable string-typed register named after the network service it implements (reg.drone.srv.battery). The value would be the semantic prefix of the group of ports that implement said service.

The example node introduced above would then have the following additional registers:

Register name Register type Value
reg.drone.srv.battery string battery.
reg.drone.srv.actuator.servo string main_drive.
reg.drone.srv.actuator.esc string main_drive.

Observe how the main drive group implements two distinct (but similar) services.

The rest should be obvious:

1. For any unconfigured node, the auto-configuration authority checks if there are any registers that match the names of the services it is able to auto-configure.

2. For each matching service, it reads the port-ID configuration registers whose names begin with the specified prefix. Using reg.drone.srv.battery as an example, the read would return:

• battery.primary.source
  • battery.primary.status
  • battery.primary.parameters
  • battery.secondary.source
  • battery.secondary.status
  • battery.secondary.parameters
  1. Next, it splits out the last component, by virtue of which it detects that there are two distinct service instances:
  • battery.primary
  • battery.secondary
  1. The job of the auto-configuration service is done here because the remaining activities are implementation-specific. For example, a centralized autopilot may be programmed to assign the first occurring smart battery subjects some pre-defined subject-IDs.

The proposal is rough around the edges but I think it illustrates the idea well. It may be implemented in an experimental fashion but it is far from being production-ready. Once validated extensively, it may be weakly endorsed in a domain-specific UAVCAN-based standard like DS-015, with some possibility that it may end up in the core UAVCAN standard one day.

Naturally, enforcing an exact port name is not possible because in that case, different service specifications may conflict with each other (e.g., a servo service also has a status subject). Hence, implementations are to be allowed to add arbitrary prefixes before the port name.

@pavel.kirienko can you elaborate on this? My understanding here is that you can enforce it if you use and enforce proper prefix to the port ID as well, if you make it specific to the service. This argument doesn’t seem to reasonable in my view.

a standalone developer is likely to adopt this approach of grouping registers independently even if it is not explicitly documented anywhere because it just makes sense .

Sorry but you cannot assume this. Also, why the naming of primary and secondary and not indexes? What do you do if you have multiple servos? What prefixes to you expect? Why not indexes? How do you expect that the autoconfiguration handles a situation like this? A servo is left, right? What if you have multiple different servos in more exotic configurations?

In any case, the fact that you state, and I quote:

For UAVCAN, the prospect of providing rigorous machine-readable network service definitions has been explored in the past, and it is, in fact, something that is likely to be worked on in the long term, but it is not manifested on our roadmap in any concrete terms yet. Such automation is a highly complex feature that we will not be able to commence any work on until we have is a solid empirical base, which means that it is at least years away from now.

Just makes clear that we far from being aligned on the overall requirements that are expected to be fulfilled in the PX4 side and the stakeholders involved. The Pareto principal is only applicable if you actually answer to what people are requesting to exist and if that subset composes a solution that is applicable to the end systems in the way that is expected by the end user to be, not the way you think it should be. If the argument here is that UAVCAN v1 should be similar to what ROS is, I am sorry to disappoint you but no one asked for a distributed network that mimics ROS. Or in the other hand, you can architect UAVCAN v1 whatever way you want, but in the end if people don’t see the value of moving from v0 and even see the UX being worse than before, they won’t pick it up, and this will be more an academic research than a productizable protocol.

Defining a semantic port grouping solution but still don’t have a way of programatically define it as a standard, at this stage, doesn’t answer what we are looking for. If that’s something, as you said, that would take years to be implemented, then we will have to find solutions ourselves to our needs and leverage the existing tooling to build an higher level network service definition that can actually be defined on code and that provides the enough helpers to people actually pick it up.

We are currently working on an architecture document with a aim to provide a sequence of tooling inputs and outputs that will allow us to properly define the network services, also following the conventions you are proposing. The primary/secondary… naming should be reviewed though.

@dagar, @PetervdPerk FYI.

I have documented the proposed convention here:

For people wanna try out the automatic register interface an example for a handler is available here.

You can setup your register easily using these functions.

uavcan_register_interface_init(&ins, &node_information);
uavcan_register_interface_add_entry("battery.primary.source", set_source_port_id, get_source_port_id);

And then use the callback handler to handle register Port Id events

int32_t set_source_port_id(uavcan_register_Value_1_0 *value)
{
	if (uavcan_register_Value_1_0_is_natural16_(value) && value->natural16.value.count == 1) { // Natural 16
		printf("Master: set portID to %i\n", value->natural16.value.elements[0]);
		source_port_id = value->natural16.value.elements[0];
		return 0;
	}

return -UAVCAN_REGISTER_ERROR_SERIALIZATION;
}
1 Like

I have implemented a very basic PoC in Python:

The extra registers for network service identification turned out to be unnecessary since the required information is deducible from port names. The only additional register needed to support auto-configuration is a single string-typed cookie register.

Consortium members can see the ongoing discussion at https://forum.opencyphal.org/t/port-type-safety-enforcement/1303/9?u=pavel.kirienko

Upon further inquiry, it turned out that the extra registers are still valuable as they allow for much shorter and meaningful port names. I have updated both the PoC and the demos to reinstate the extra registers back.

Now, instead of verbose and rigid port names like udral.servo.left.setpoint/udral.servo.right.setpoint, we have simply left.setpoint/right.setpoint, and the fact that instances left and right implement network service servo is reflected in one string-typed immutable register named reg.udral.service.actuator.servo, whose value is left right (space-separated). This change probably simplifies the implementation somewhat, judging by the PoC (at the cost of one extra register).

A slightly more formal description is available in the UDRAL DSDL branch, which I will start a separate discussion on soon at #consortium.