Homepage GitHub

An easy-to-use web service for compiling DSDL

Integration of custom DSDL into one’s build system presents certain difficulties that in some cases appear to be avoidable. While for a large project these are insignificant compared to the overall efforts required to manage a sizable codebase, smaller projects and those of experimental variety could benefit from an alternative approach with better UX. In a recent pull request to 107-Arduino-UAVCAN by @aentinger we discussed the possibility of building a trivial web service that would allow one to upload an arbitrary DSDL namespace (as an archive or as a link to GitHub) and get generated code back:

The service would act not only as an approachable way of using DSDL but also as a GUI for Nunavut, showing one which flags to use to get the desired result.

We have the resources necessary to get this deployed and maintained, but we lack the resources necessary for implementing the business logic. We are therefore looking for a contributor experienced in web design who could undertake this and dedicate a couple of man*weeks to this project. Please reply here or send me a direct message if interested.

I’m interested - this sounds like a cool project to undertake. I have a decent amount of experience in full-stack web design; however, I’m not all that familiar with DSDL or Nunavut - I’d have to do more reading.

What features does this web service need to have? Just one place to upload a .zip archive or git repository link and then get back a zip of generated code? Any requirements for the stack (frontend framework, backend framework)?

Also, what are the time commitments for this project? Is there a set deadline?

1 Like

Hi Vincent!

Thank you for volunteering, this is huge.

Thankfully, this is the easy part because the code generation task is entirely managed by Nunavut. Look, suppose we have a DSDL namespace containing one type like this:

# my_project.MyMessageType.1.0
uint16 VALUE_LOW  = 1000
uint16 VALUE_HIGH = 2000
uint16 VALUE_MID = (VALUE_HIGH + VALUE_LOW) / 2  # Exact rational arithmetics!
uint16 value
uint8[<=100] key  # Variable-length array, at most 100 items.
@extent 128 * 8

If the namespace directory is dsdl_src/my_project (which means that the file is dsdl_src/my_project/MyMessageType.1.0.uavcan), we invoke Nunavut as follows:

nnvg --target-language c --target-endianness=little --enable-serialization-asserts dsdl_src/my_project

The following options are to be configured by the user:

• --target-language – currently, we support only C, but @scottdixon is working on supporting C++, and the Python support is implemented in an external library, pending its migration into Nunavut.

• --target-endianness=little – there are three options to be selected by the user: little (default), any, big.

• --enable-serialization-asserts – should be enabled by default.

Nunavut will store generated code into ./nunavut_out/ by default, along with the auxiliary support headers:

$ tree nunavut_out
nunavut_out
├── my_project
│   └── MyMessageType_1_0.h
└── nunavut
    └── support
        └── serialization.h

The entire output directory is then to be zipped and returned to the user. Observe that in DSDL, unlike most computer languages, the smallest unit of translation is not a file but a namespace directory — it is not possible to transpile a single type.

Some namespaces may depend on other namespaces (e.g., if your custom data type includes a standard data type from the uavcan namespace). This is handled by supplying Nunavut with --lookup arguments:

nnvg --target-language c --enable-serialization-asserts dsdl_src/my_project --lookup public_regulated_data_types/uavcan

But the thing is that when you generate code from scratch, you will have to generate it for every looked-up namespace as well because generated code for your namespace will depend on the generated code from the look-up namespace. So what I suggest is that the user is allowed to upload multiple namespaces in a single archive (or provide multiple links to GitHub repos), and then they are all compiled together by invoking Nunavut multiple times with the --lookup argument set to all of the provided namespaces. For example, if the archive contains foo/ and bar/, the commands are:

nnvg --target-language c --enable-serialization-asserts archive/foo --lookup archive/foo --lookup archive/bar
nnvg --target-language c --enable-serialization-asserts archive/bar --lookup archive/foo --lookup archive/bar

Handling GitHub links (or any external links to zip archives) is easy, you can just copy-paste the implementation from here:

If the user supplied a repo link like https://github.com/UAVCAN/public_regulated_data_types/, it is either automatically converted into https://github.com/UAVCAN/public_regulated_data_types/archive/master.zip or a Git client is invoked to clone the repository (the former is probably easier but the default branch name has been recently changed to main which may complicate things).

Yes, but there also needs to be a couple of options as I mentioned above: select target language (currently only C; I’m not sure but @aentinger might want to add a separate target language for Arduino), select endianness, and assertion checks.

It is best to avoid a step-through, wizard-style interaction because it will turn tedious fast. It’s best to make it entirely single-page, I think, where you can just tweak settings and run generation without clicking through different views.

When invoking Nunavut, the used command-line arguments should be shown to the user to simplify the transition from using the web service to running Nunavut locally.

There are no hard requirements but we internally use Python a lot, so it’s best to write the backend in that. For the front-end, we are mostly indifferent but I know that @scottdixon loves Vue.

There is no strict deadline but the sooner the better. I will try to provide prompt answers to avoid blocking your work on this.

I recommend starting in your personal GitHub repository which we will transfer over to UAVCAN afterward.

Yes, but there also needs to be a couple of options as I mentioned above: select target language (currently only C; I’m not sure but @aentinger might want to add a separate target language for Arduino), select endianness, and assertion checks.

Yes, I’d love to have a separate Arduino target language for nunavut so that users can easily the required headers for digestion by 107-Arduino-UAVCAN. I’ve summed up the requirements for said generator in a nunavut issue (Anyone with Python skills interested in this?). Regardless, this doesn’t change the requirements for the web-service at all as it’s simply an additional entry in a drop-down menu (or checkbox or …).

A preview of how the UI looks so far

2 Likes

A (very early) development version is here:

The webapp is comprised of a simple Nuxt.js frontend and a Flask+Celery[redis]+static file server backend. It is capable of taking either a Github link or an uploaded .zip archive containing DSDL namespaces and outputting a link to a generated .zip that the user can then download.

The advantage of this setup is scalability; the frontend is entirely decoupled from the backend, meaning the two can be scaled separately as needed. All components of the backend (Flask, Redis, Celery, static file server) can easily be scaled.

This should not be treated as the final version in any way. Major refactoring is in order (the code is extremely messy and there’s some parts that definitely need rearchitecting and/or rewriting), and both the frontend and backend concepts may be changed entirely.

That being said, give it a spin! Documentation for running the backend server is in a README; the frontend is just npm run dev.

This is wonderful. In addition to the feedback I provided via Slack, here are a few extra comments that I came up with after running the application locally.

First, backend testing would benefit from some automation: https://github.com/bbworld1/nunaweb/issues/1.

While skimming through the sources I noticed that you invoke Nunavut as a library:

Maybe consider invoking the nnvg CLI tool instead (IIRC Celery provides some built-in means for that, right?) because it will allow you to display the usage example to the user, as I mentioned here:

While I got the app running, I couldn’t actually generate code for an unknown reason. After I click “submit”, the backend accepts the request but code generation doesn’t start:

I probably messed something up while setting up the environment, not sure. There have been no errors reported and my Redis instance has this:

127.0.0.1:6379> keys *
1) "celery"
2) "_kombu.binding.celery"
127.0.0.1:6379> llen celery
(integer) 2
127.0.0.1:6379> lindex celery 0
"{\"body\": \"W1tbIi90bXAvcHl1YXZjYW4tY2xpLWRzZGxzdjZxMmswby9wdWJsaWNfcmVndWxhdGVkX2RhdGFfdHlwZXMtbWFzdGVyL3VhdmNhbiIsICIvdG1wL3B5dWF2Y2FuLWNsaS1kc2Rsc3Y2cTJrMG8vcHVibGljX3JlZ3VsYXRlZF9kYXRhX3R5cGVzLW1hc3Rlci9yZWciXSwgImMiLCAiL3RtcC9udW5hdnV0LW91dDF1ZmhpXzN3Il0sIHt9LCB7ImNhbGxiYWNrcyI6IG51bGwsICJlcnJiYWNrcyI6IG51bGwsICJjaGFpbiI6IG51bGwsICJjaG9yZCI6IG51bGx9XQ==\", \"content-encoding\": \"utf-8\", \"content-type\": \"application/json\", \"headers\": {\"lang\": \"py\", \"task\": \"nunaserver.generator.generate_dsdl\", \"id\": \"6b0ef164-6774-4de7-98b0-0300571f24f8\", \"shadow\": null, \"eta\": null, \"expires\": null, \"group\": null, \"group_index\": null, \"retries\": 0, \"timelimit\": [null, null], \"root_id\": \"6b0ef164-6774-4de7-98b0-0300571f24f8\", \"parent_id\": null, \"argsrepr\": \"(['/tmp/pyuavcan-cli-dsdlsv6q2k0o/public_regulated_data_types-master/uavcan', '/tmp/pyuavcan-cli-dsdlsv6q2k0o/public_regulated_data_types-master/reg'], 'c', '/tmp/nunavut-out1ufhi_3w')\", \"kwargsrepr\": \"{}\", \"origin\": \"gen1662611@deep-thought\"}, \"properties\": {\"correlation_id\": \"6b0ef164-6774-4de7-98b0-0300571f24f8\", \"reply_to\": \"dafea668-fdc6-3bf8-9aac-76f68aa43a1a\", \"delivery_mode\": 2, \"delivery_info\": {\"exchange\": \"\", \"routing_key\": \"celery\"}, \"priority\": 0, \"body_encoding\": \"base64\", \"delivery_tag\": \"7c5a5f21-19c3-4f52-8c2a-c32528fbdc9e\"}}"
127.0.0.1:6379> lindex celery 1
"{\"body\": \"W1tbIi90bXAvcHl1YXZjYW4tY2xpLWRzZGxmOGs5OXVxeS9wdWJsaWNfcmVndWxhdGVkX2RhdGFfdHlwZXMtbWFzdGVyL3VhdmNhbiIsICIvdG1wL3B5dWF2Y2FuLWNsaS1kc2RsZjhrOTl1cXkvcHVibGljX3JlZ3VsYXRlZF9kYXRhX3R5cGVzLW1hc3Rlci9yZWciXSwgImMiLCAiL3RtcC9udW5hdnV0LW91dGJteml5ZHc3Il0sIHt9LCB7ImNhbGxiYWNrcyI6IG51bGwsICJlcnJiYWNrcyI6IG51bGwsICJjaGFpbiI6IG51bGwsICJjaG9yZCI6IG51bGx9XQ==\", \"content-encoding\": \"utf-8\", \"content-type\": \"application/json\", \"headers\": {\"lang\": \"py\", \"task\": \"nunaserver.generator.generate_dsdl\", \"id\": \"0dc9b243-f2f9-4d14-a0fa-5d81a4304e01\", \"shadow\": null, \"eta\": null, \"expires\": null, \"group\": null, \"group_index\": null, \"retries\": 0, \"timelimit\": [null, null], \"root_id\": \"0dc9b243-f2f9-4d14-a0fa-5d81a4304e01\", \"parent_id\": null, \"argsrepr\": \"(['/tmp/pyuavcan-cli-dsdlf8k99uqy/public_regulated_data_types-master/uavcan', '/tmp/pyuavcan-cli-dsdlf8k99uqy/public_regulated_data_types-master/reg'], 'c', '/tmp/nunavut-outbmziydw7')\", \"kwargsrepr\": \"{}\", \"origin\": \"gen1661146@deep-thought\"}, \"properties\": {\"correlation_id\": \"0dc9b243-f2f9-4d14-a0fa-5d81a4304e01\", \"reply_to\": \"b66b82c5-b492-32c9-90d9-d8d81059f9f3\", \"delivery_mode\": 2, \"delivery_info\": {\"exchange\": \"\", \"routing_key\": \"celery\"}, \"priority\": 0, \"body_encoding\": \"base64\", \"delivery_tag\": \"6fd03624-8d6e-408e-bc51-5f373a6470dc\"}}"

It’s best to continue the conversation here instead of Slack, for visibility. Thank you!